Sisters, Oregon

Wednesday, June 23
I have just returned from breakfast to my motel in Sisters, Oregon. I am at the moment mustering courage to dress into my outfit and then push my cart down the main street to a community park. I suppose that I do not need to take my cart along but it is always good as a discussion starter when people see that I'm on a cross-country journey. Already the day is growing warm and I am sure I will be warmer still in my woolens. Today I wish to talk to random citizens, ask questions, and to share my love for history. I have copies of the Bill of Rights to distribute, as well as three different editions of the Declaration of Independence. This should be an interesting day as I have not yet stopped long enough to do this. During breakfast I talked to a gentleman who had no reservations telling me what was wrong with this country. In these exchanges I try to listen and to not lead people into answers - I already know my own opinion, but I do not know theirs. Whether I agree or disagree isn’t the issue - I want to hear from them. We’ll see how this goes.

Yesterday, June 22, I set a personal record for distance walked in a day. My best guess is that I went over 32 miles. I had no plan on doing this but as Sisters represented a warm shower and cool sheets I put out the extra effort and made it. I started walking at 6:15 in the morning and arrived around 7:30 last night. I could hardly move and I think I learned a lesson! I hit my room and immediately hit the bed. But this morning I feel fine. I must add that yesterday the climb from Clear Lake to the top of the pass at Hoodo Ski area was quite the climb! I simply went into a “head space” and put one foot in front of the other eventually getting to the top. While sitting in the shade having lunch, a couple of friends on their way to Cleveland stopped to wish me well. Watching them drive away, I felt a bit like the tortoise in “The Tortoise and the Hare,” and was all the glad for it.

3 comments:

  1. Note from Louise Gano. I found out about your journey and I am thrilled. I have always been your greatest admirer. I will be with you every step of the way. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Would you consider running for president? Love, Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ray,
    It is always nice to read your updates. I hope you know with every step you take you have people who know you and many you don't that are following and supporting you. I have passed your website on to many here so you have a following from Washington County here in Ohio.
    Stay safe.
    Love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray, this is so awesome. I am hopeful to see you sometime around the 4th which will mean chasing you down from Bend and then back to Bend to take care of the house and dog where I am staying.

    This is impressive and you are in our thoughts often.

    My best for your safety and success.
    Bert

    ReplyDelete