Can You Spell Potatoe?


















Monday, November 1
I was walking through Huntington, Indiana, when I looked at the city sign and was shocked to see that I was entering the hometown of former Vice President Dan Quayle. I'm not sure why I was surprised for I knew he was from Indiana - I suppose it's just that I haven't thought much about him since he left office in 1992. On the way into town a nice woman stopped and gave me a $10 donation and I asked her if he still lived here. She told me that he doesn't but that I could eat at his favorite restaurant in Huntington - Nick's Kitchen. I figured what the heck, why not, so I headed downtown looking for Dan's favorite haunt.
Having a seat and perusing a menu - there it was - Dan Quayle's favorite burger! As much as I would have liked to have compared taste buds - I am tired of hamburgers so I instead got his second favorite - the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. While eating at "Nick's," I found out that it was in this very restaurant that Quayle announced his candidacy for Vice President of the United States in 1988. I left feeling as if I had just had a brush with history even though he wasn't there - it was good enough for me that he used to hang out there. I even felt sorry for the guy thinking back over all the jokes and ribbings he received while in office. The funniest incident that I remember was when he sat in for a teacher as a spelling bee monitor. Some little kid spelled potato correctly on the chalkboard and the Vice President told him he'd missed it and to sit down. With some chalk Quayle then added an "e" to the end. The press and comedians never let up on that one.

By the way, I asked a local what was in the Dan Quayle Museum and whether it was worth my stopping.
Her reply? "I don't know - I've never been there."

No comments:

Post a Comment