East on Highway 136

Sunday, Oct. 17
I decided to stay one more day to get some things done before heading east in the morning on Highway 136. The road to Macomb from Carthage was among the best a person could wish for and I hope it continues.

Saturday, October 16
I got up at 4:30 and was on the road at 6:00. I wanted to get to Macomb, Illinois, a distance of 28 miles and check into a motel for the night. Since this was a Saturday, if I got there in time I would be able rest, do some laundry, and perhaps watch some college football. I did not know it at that time, but Macomb is the home of Western Illinois University and today was a home game against Youngstown State - consequently the place was crawling with fans. As such, I was turned away from the first several motels as they were already full - booked with visitors for the game. Eventually I found a room and all I can say is, "GoBulldogs!"
By the way - Western Illinois won.

2 comments:

  1. Ray, Just for the record. It was parents weekend in Macomb at the University. This is why you had such a hard time finding a room. I have left a message with Scott England at our TV Station here in Decatur, Illinois. I hope to hear from him by tomorrow afternoon if not sooner. I shall keep you updated on my progress with WAND TV along with my granddaughters Jr. High Schools History teachers class to see about you visiting them... Well for now keep safe and see you soon my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good-looking shoulder, Ray. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete