An Unfortunate Incident

Saturday, Aug 21
I didn’t leave Thermopolis as early as I had planed. As I was packing people paused to talk having seen my sign and wondering about my project. One man publishes “online” books and approached me with some ideas. My natural inclination is to be a bit suspicious for I always wonder, “What’s in it for them?” On the flip side - perhaps this attitude hinders my success. These situations are always a tough call. He gave me a business card and I told him I would think about it. Another man, a writer, also stopped to talk and it was nice to share conversation with someone who appreciated American history.
The walk from Thermopolis to Boysen State Park was beautiful. This route follows the Big Horn River as it cuts a north-south pass through the mountains. Wind River Canyon, as it is called, was used as both a short-cut and an escape route for Indian people past. Today it borders Wind River Indian Reservation of the Shoshoni Nation.
Strolling down this scenic canyon, appreciating the beauty of the emerald-green river, a gentle breeze to my back with not a cloud in sight and feeling on top of the world - I wrecked my trailer! I had stopped to read a historical sign and turned to see my cart rolling down the highway! I gave chase but too late as I watched it tumble down a small embankment. Holding my breath while inspecting the damage I found one handle’s connection had broken and for the moment I wasn’t sure what to do. Left to my own resolve, I got out the modern “cure all” - duct tape! Fifteen minutes later I was rolling down the road again but I now had to pull the cart for I could no longer practically push. Imagine a broken board joined by a single hinge. If you push - the hinge tends to buckle inward, but it you pull - it works fine. I am truly dependent on my trailer and as upsetting as this may be, I feel quite lucky that I was able to continue limping forward rather than being stuck in the middle of nowhere. Always the positive if you look for it.
I stopped to drink my fill from a pipe coming out of the hillside. It was such good sweet water on a hot afternoon that I wanted to fill all my conatiners. It was then I noticed a sign warning not to drink the water! I’m not sure what will happen with this one - I suppose we’ll have to wait and see. It really was good and cold.
I arrived at the head of Boysen Reservoir in early evening and wasted no time setting up camp. A couple in an RV, Ray and Sam, offered me a cold beer (which is a rarity) and conversation. He also wanted to help me fix my broken handle. We added a wooden splint to it and what else? Some more duct tape! Hopefully, this will “tide me over” until I can get a replacement sent. I also met a man who lives in Thailand studying the rare and endangered, “clouded leopard.” He works for the Smithsonian and was visiting Wyoming on vacation.


  1. always great to read what you have experienced on your journey. I check your blog everyday to see if you have posted anything new. I know that your travels take you to many places where that is impossible, but I just want to know you have people following you. Wishing we were there! Safe travels and glad your trailer is still usable.

  2. Oh, that sucks. Stay positive though!

    --Margaret Hibdon