A Matter of Attitude

Friday, August 6
Thus far, waking at South Jenny Lake was the nicest of the entire trip. The beauty of the mountains reflected on the misty morning water was indeed a sight to behold. Sitting on shore with a chill in the air and a coffee in hand, I decided I would stay a second day to better appreciate my surroundings.
After lazing away the morning I took a hike along the lake at the base of the Tetons and again, I am at a loss for words to describe the views - perhaps some photos will partially present what truly must be experienced.
I had hiked approximately five miles when the weather suddenly changed and gray clouds quickly moved in. I returned toward camp hoping the rain would hold but alas it was not to be. The summer drizzle began and my consternation with the situation rose also. I tried dodging raindrops and soon came to the realization that with five miles to go I was going to be wet - like it or not - no way around it. With that thought came acceptance, and with acceptance - comfort. I began to notice that the rain was warm, reminding me of my childhood summers when we would “play in the rain” and what fun it used to be to get wet. With this change of attitude it became enjoyable watching the dryness of my shirt disappear with each additional drop. Then, for icing on the cake, I removed my hat and laughed letting the rain soak my face and hair. What had begun as something upsetting to me was instead turned into an enjoyable and memorable experience.
I believe there is a lesson here, or perhaps I’m spending too much time alone.
Has anyone seen a clothespin?

1 comment:

  1. You know that quote -- "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about dancing in the rain."

    --Margaret Hibdon

    ReplyDelete